Because I’ve been sick and preoccupied, let this tide us all over for a bit. When you finish here, why not check out Veronica Mitchell’s original post? I won’t tag anyone tonight (because I’m sleepy), but feel free to copy and paste and leave me a link in the comments so I can read all about you, too.
Movies I rented because the cool people liked them, but I never could finish:
1. Mulholland Drive.
3. We don’t actually rent movies very often, so this was a tough one for me. Really, that’s all I’ve got.
Movies I watched with the cool people but secretly hated:
1. Any movie that could conceivably be described with the phrase “romantic comedy.”
2. Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. Oh, wait. I wasn’t secretive about that – I bitched about it for weeks to anyone who would listen.
3. Sin City. Artistic? Wildly. Unnecessary? Absolutely.
4. Oh, and Evil Dead. That was ten years ago and I’m still traumatized.
Movies I secretly like but might deny in front of the cool people:
1. The old school, original Batman, with Adam West, complete with spandex and “Pow!” graphics. This isn’t technically a secret either, but it is pretty uncool.
2. Musicals in general are awesome, but not necessarily something to brag about.
3. And, yeah. Underworld.
Books I started because the cool people like them, but I could never finish:
1. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S. Thompson
2. 1984, by George Orwell (I did read this all the way through once in high school, then tried to reread it a few years ago and realized that I didn’t like any of the characters. Proceeded to put it down promptly. Haven’t looked back since.)
3. Rabbit, Run, by John Updike
Music I tried to like because the cool people like it, but really it makes me want to puncture my own eardrums to escape the pain of the irritating, cat-mating howling:
1. Reggae. Can’t do it. Don’t know why.
2. Modest Mouse.
3. The Beatles. (I know, I know! I’m sorry!)
Music I secretly sometimes like, but don’t want the cool people to know:
1. Justin Timberlake. I mean, he did bring sexy back, right?
2. I do have Britney Spears’ “Toxic” on my iPod, and I have been known to listen to it from time to time…
3. Linkin Park. Godsmack. System of a Down. Cold. Anything in that category, really. I love crunchy guitars.
Foods I secretly like, even though the cool people sneer at them:
1. Doughnuts, especially in multiples of two.
2. Butter. Real, fat-laden, sweet cream, Weight-Watchers-unapproved butter. I wish I could tell you that I use it sparingly, but that, my friend, would be a lie.